Monday, April 5, 2010

Fire at Maplewood Barn Community Theater

COLUMBIA, Mo - While the Monday night line up on TV was in full effect, including the final game of the NCAA Basketball Tournament, the Maplewood Barn Community Theatre at 2900 E. Nifong Blvd. went up in flames. The call to dispatch came in at 7:56 p.m. on Monday, April 5, 2010. A total of nine units arrived at the scene, including seven from Columbia and two from Boone County Fire Departments. Columbia's Station Eight, located about four miles to the east, reported visible fire from their location. It took 45 minutes for the raging flames to be subdued.

The barn, which has existed for over 100 years, is a historical building, according to the Maplewood Barn Community Theater Vice President, Lee Wilkins Black. Black also stated that the barn had been the site of vandalism as recently as three weeks ago. She speculated that probable causes are either vandalism or bad wiring. "On top of being sad, there is anger," Black said.

Had the fire not completely leveled the barn, the next performance there would have been "Arsenic and Old Lace," on May 14, 2010.


Unknown said...

Good Job making the best (picture) out of a bad situation. You capture the essence of the heat, flames and destruction - while showing the"action" and fire equipment silhouetted against the night. - - Not an easy shot- Everything a good photojournalist does.
Sad for the MWB though....
Keep up the good work !

Kevin A. Roberts said...

It was the first fire I've arrived at in which flames or destruction were clearly visible. It took me a minute or two to gain my composure for composing, and it worked out. Thanks for the kind words, Todd.