Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Multimedia project #2 






This is my second finished multimedia piece for the Missourian. I was brought onboard for this assignment early last week (a full length article by a different reporter will accompany it once it is published). In total, I made pictures and gathered audio with Nina twice, and her teacher once. I did all the editing today, most of which was sifting through audio, picking out the right sound bites, and then finding the appropriate place to put them.

Unfortunately, I feel the visual variety is somewhat forced. Nina is a great person, but I wasn't able to relay the fact that she didn't have to put on a show for me. On several occasions, she took me through her work tasks, and by my photojournalism ethics, I couldn't use those pictures. 

Why exactly couldn't I use them? Because I am meant to capture unstaged, un-suggested and unaltered scenes or scenarios. This did lead to the exclusion of many photos, but ultimately I'm glad that I have presented an ethically sound presentation.

What I learned:
1. Absolute silence can work
2. When creating text slides for Soundslides via Photoshop, create a "New" document and under "Preset" select "Photo." That way, you can safely save as a JPEG
3. Editing the audio to fit the photos creates a better finished project than editing the time length of photos to fit the audio
4. I love my new lens

No comments: